Should I file a Worker's Compensation Claim? Why can't I bill my private insurance?
We hear these questions all the time.
Answer: Yes, if you have been hurt at work, it is often in your best interest to file a workers' compensation claim. Here's why:
- If you do not file a claim and are required to miss work due to the extent of your injuries or to see a doctor, your absence may be unexcused or unpaid for.
- Your private insurance will not cover injuries that appear to be work related.
- If you change jobs, a new insurance carrier may not cover problems that appear to be pre-existing. A workers' compensation claim will remain open, however, even if you change jobs.
- If you have a legitimate work related injury you will not be responsible for any costs, deductibles or co-pays with your Workers' Comp benefit.
- If you need to miss time from work due to your injury, the Ohio BWC may compensate you for your lost salary.